runway to air traffic control

Friday, December 09, 2005

Precision Approach Radar (PAR)


This type of approach differs from ASR by providing the vertical position of the aircraft as well as horizontal. It's much like working with the X and Y axis on a graph. It's the job of the PAR controller to make sure the pilot stays on both paths (horizontal = course and vertical = glideslope) in order for a safe approach. There's more to keep track of than with ASR, so obviously it's a little more complicated. However, our class did very well again. Everyone passed. I pulled out with a 97%. We're now starting to get into Arrival Control. More on this after the holiday.

Christmas stand-down starts on December 17th, but I'll be leaving the 22nd and return January 3rd. I can't wait to get back home and see my family and friends - most of whom I haven't seen since I left for boot camp June 1st. If I don't post before I leave, have a great holiday!

No comments: