runway to air traffic control

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Block One

Well, I can safely say that the gap in posts is due to the craziness of school. It's really interesting, but very time consuming. The key thing is to stay serious and focused. I've lost count of the number of people we've lost from our class already. And I've only been in class for about 4 weeks. The attrition (drop-out/kick-out) rate is an average of 25 to 30 percent. It sounds intimidating, but everyone that has left just didn't seem to care. For me, if I lost the air traffic control rating, I wouldn't know what else to do in the Navy. This provides a lot of motivation. At this point, I'm top of the class...barely. However, things that can help out are uniform inspections (an outstanding will lift your GPA by 1 percent) and physical readiness tests (an outstanding will lift your GPA by up to 3 percent). If you stay on top of your books and do what you're supposed to do, block one is cake. We have at least one test a week. Our block one classes include:
a) General Weather
b) Navigation, Airspace, and Time
c) Navigational Aids
d) Charts and Publications
e) General Tower
f) Sequencing and Separation
e) Emergency, Non-Radar

My seek and sep (sequencing and separation) test is on Tuesday. From what I've been told it is the most difficult written test in the school. Well, I'm slightly drunk and very tired. I'll finish this post later.

No comments: