runway to air traffic control

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Tower Simulator

Yesterday was our first day in the cab (tower simulator)! I was really nervous going in. We've learned so much in the last 3 days, and now we have to put it to action. The cab is split into three main positions: local controller, ground controller, and flight data. I started on ground. It was so much fun! I remembered everything I was supposed to say and traffic went soooo smooth. Ground control has responsiblity for all vehicles as well as aircraft which are in taxi to departure or just arriving. It couldn't have gone any better! It's so nice to be using the tools we've learned. After finishing with ground, I moved to local. Things didn't go so buttery smooth here, but it could have been worse. I'll be studying up today. Overall, I walked away with a lot more confidence and I can't wait to keep moving forward. After all was said and done, I had a real feeling of accomplishment. Hopefully this will continue through the rest of school and into my career...

Side note: we start night school today. This means we don't have to show up for class until 4:30pm (1630 military time) and we'll be out by 7 or 8pm. We spend the entire time in the cab. This will last for about 11 or 12 days. Then it's back to days.

Pictures
Top Left: A tower simulator similar to the one we are using here in pensacola
Lower Right: The inside of an actual tower

No comments: