runway to air traffic control

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Airport Surveillance Radar (ASR)

.
This past week has been so much fun! We've been working the Airport Surveillance Radar (ASR) simulators to death. ASR is used as a non-precision (provides a 2-D horizontal position only, not vertical) final approach aid. Basically, the aircraft is handed off to the person working the ASR at about 10-15 miles from the runway. It is the ASR controller's job to guide the pilot into the runway on a specific course while providing any pertinent information. You are the last voice the pilot hears before touchdown.

Our ASR "P-Run" (term used to identify a test on a simulator) was today. Our class did very well. Many of us scored 100's, including me. Simulators are definately my favorite part of school. We receive hand's-on experience without the fear creating real "fireballs." Tomorrow we start PAR (Precision Approach Radar) which is very similar, just a little more complicated :) I can't wait for more!


On a side note, we finally had our Physical Readiness Test (PRT).  Afterwards, I found the Navy's standards and requirements for my age group.  It looks like I made an "Outstanding" which should give me 3 points on my overall average.  As things stand now, I believe that would push me to the top of the class and first to pick orders!  Things are looking up.

No comments: