runway to air traffic control

Thursday, February 09, 2006

How It Works

So I've been here a couple of weeks now and I'm gonna give you the low down on what I've learned so far about the way things work around here. First, it's a 24-hour facility, so there are three shifts. Mids (2300-0700) are constant - meaning that the people that work mids always work mids. However, the day (0700-1500) and evening (1500-2300) shifts rotate every week. For example, I'm working days this week. Therefore, next week I'll be on evenings. upon arriving they put newcomers into either the Port or Starboard crew. This determines which rotation they will be on.

Regardless of what crew they are placed in, everyone starts training in Flight Planning. This is really the entry-level position for all air traffic controllers. Although, they ensure proper flight paths for aircraft, it's not done in real time. The level of risk here is very low. This is where I'm at now. Basically, we are given a pilot's flight plan - which they generally write up on their own. We just double check the plan to make sure everything is correct and then forward the information to everyone else who needs to know (other airports, centers, etc.). Likewise we receive plans from other airports and let everyone within the facility know who's coming. It's a lot more complicated than that, but that should give a basic understanding.

From there, the command will decide whether the new controller is needed in tower or radar - the two distinct divisions of ATC. Although there are some similarities between them, differences are vast. Far more people work radar than tower. This is due to that fact that radar covers a much larger section of airspace than the tower and also provide more tools/positions for pilots to use.  In each area, there are any number of positions to be qualified on. A lot of people told me that I'd be lucky to make it past "Radar Final Control" (the first radar qualification) in the two years I'm here. However, I'm quickly learning that I really have control over my future here - just like with my career in the Navy. It's all about what I put into it, studywise and so forth. It's difficult for me to set goals on qualifications at this point, just because I don't fully understand how everything works. But I plan to get as many qualifications as I can...period. I can't afford to waste any time here...

No comments: