runway to air traffic control

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Real Life Controller

That's me! Today I actually controlled a couple of REAL aircraft. I went up into the tower for the first time - my first time in ANY tower. I was happy just to be there - then they told me to hop on position. I thought they were joking... Nope. So I was on local control for a few minutes. I had one plane in a pattern - he completed three "touch and go's" while I was on position. I cleared another aircraft for takeoff. He aborted the first time due to mechanical issues, but I cleared him a second time and off he went. I was able to jump in because it was a slow day, but the other controllers still helped out - making sure I knew what to say, etc. I was amazed at how closely our simulators in school resembled real-life. It was probably the most exciting moment for me so far - even better than graduation. I can't wait to do more. Chances are I'm going to wind up in radar, but I look forward to getting more time in the tower!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey colin, you story is great. I am also a air traffic controller in the navy. I a stationed in Mayport florida. Very very good story. I agree with you in all aspects. Ac's rock man!