runway to air traffic control

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Last Days

Waiting.  That's really all we're doing now.  After returning from holiday leave, we finished up our last test: Arrival.  The arrival controllers direct aircraft within close proximity (15-20 miles) to the airport and hand them off to either the ASR or PAR controller for final approach.  The primary goal is to put arriving aircraft into a pattern and line them up for a smooth handoff.  Of course the most important part is maintaining proper separation between aircraft.  I was a little worried about this test (P-Run) due to the fact that we had such a long break right beforehand.  However, the instructors took all factors into account and I pulled out a 100!

Graduation is in two days.  Normally, my class would be in flight planning right now.  I don't know much about it, though.  We had such little time before graduation that we are skipping it.  Instead we tested out a new simulator - it was cake.  Like I said, we're really just waiting around to graduate.  We spend most of our time in the flight planning room - goofing off.  It's nice to be the grad class!

It'll be tough to leave.  It's funny - up until now I couldn't wait to get out of here.  This past week has been so much fun, though.  I'm really going to miss my friends here.  I'm sure I'll be back for C-School (more specific, advanced training) at some point.  I can safely say that I will be looking forward to it.  I have a ton of packing, but I'll keep this updated as I travel to Whidbey Island, WA.  I'll be on leave again for 7 or 8 days before I get there.  See you on the flip side!

No comments: