runway to air traffic control

Sunday, June 07, 2009

ATC Symposium

Over the first week in May, I had the great opportunity to attend the Navy/Marine Air Traffic Control Symposium in San Diego, CA. It's a tool we use to educate each other about changes in the air traffic control world, as well as changes in our rate.

The best part about the symposium is the direct communication lines between all of the air traffic controllers. I was able to chat freely with controllers of all types. Retired officers and enlisted, active LDO's (limited duty officers), 8 or 9 Master Chiefs, and countless others. I reconnected with friends from A-School and others that I have worked with over the past few years. I feel priviliged to have attended my second symposium in my short navy career. Not everyone has this opportunity, so if you ever get the chance, jump on it. It will change the way you feel about our rate. You really get to see how small of a rate we work in. We look out for each other and it really shows at the symposium.

1 comment:

atcpilot said...

Just wondering what are the chances of activation if I was to join the Reserves as a petty officer. Are their better units to join over others?